Since the introduction of the pupil premium funding for our students, the money has been used in variety of ways in order to support school life, achievement and lifelong learning opportunities.
These activities not only help the students with their study but provide invaluable enrichment, inspirational opportunities and experiences that they may not otherwise have been able to undertake.
Alongside the targeted intervention and one-to-one tutoring for our pupil premium funding, the past year has seen a number of visits designed to increase student aspirations and motivation, thereby developing the growth mindset. These have included university visits and a number of taster sessions at local FE colleges which really support students in considering their post-16 choices more effectively.
Detailed below is not an exhaustive list, but it highlights some of the many initiatives that we have been able to introduce here at Light Hall (although not all have been implemented thus far this academic year):
- One to one tutoring (covering all year groups in English, maths, science)
- Small group tutoring specialising in controlled assessment workshops
- Employment of specialist teaching staff in core subjects to directly support students
- Create job opportunities and post-holders to specifically target students to ensure they make progress
- Bus collection services for early morning revision sessions including a Breakfast club for Y11
- Residential trip to undertake dance choreography lessons with Pro Excel Dance to perform at Twickenham
- Fostering links with local universities and FE providers e.g. specialist subject master classes at Birmingham University, as well as ‘How do you become a lawyer?’ workshops and Drama taster trips to Henley College
- Trip to the Apprentice Skills show at the NEC
- Taster days at FE colleges such as the construction at South and City College and general courses at Solihull Sixth Form college
- The Big Bang science festival at the NEC
- Natural High workshop at Light Hall
- Theatre trips – including the ‘Woman in Black’ at Birmingham Rep
- Geography field trip to Cadburys
- Music curriculum enhancement trips
- Art trips
- Alton Towers end of year trip
- House enrichment trips